Apply Online for Arkansas Legal Aid

Legal Aid of Arkansas and the Center for Arkansas Legal Services help low-income Arkansans with civil legal issues. We do not help with criminal cases other than criminal eviction and record expungement. If you've been charged with a crime, contact a public defender. Qualifying for help is based on your income and assets. It is also based on the type of legal problem you have.

By clicking the Apply Now link below you will be given access to our online application. This application works by asking you questions (the application may take up to 10 to 15 minutes) and then sending your answers securely to us. After review, we will contact you and you may speak with an attorney or paralegal. We may schedule an appointment with you, give you advice over the phone, educational materials, or we may refer you to another organization.

If you think you are in immediate danger, call 911 right away! If your problem is urgent, or if you would rather apply by phone, do not use this interview. Call our HelpLine at 1-800-952-9243.


Click here to apply online:


Apply Here


What You Need Before You Start

You will need some information to get through the interview. Some of it is basic, like your name, and the county where you live. Some of it may be harder to find, like income and assets (what you own).

Make sure you have this information before you start:

  • your name, address and county you live in or the county where you legal problem is

  • the name of the person, business or organization causing your legal problem (if any)

  • the sources of all your income, and the amount you get each month from each source 

  • the amount of money in all your bank accounts

Before we can help you, we must determine that you are eligible for services.  Due to limited resources, our staff is not able to help with every type of legal issue; services are targeted to problems that affect basic needs such as housing, income, medical care and family safety.

Lawyers must avoid conflicts of interest, which happens if talking with both parties of a dispute. We will ask you for information about the person, business or agency with whom you are having a problem to identify any potential conflicts of interest. 

If you are eligible to speak with an attorney or paralegal, he or she will ask you about your problem. Please have papers or documents concerning your problem available when we contact you. It will also help if you have important information such as the names of people involved with the problem, and their addresses and telephone numbers.

If we decline to help you or you are unhappy with the legal assistance we provide, you may file a grievance. You can download the grievance form here.