Legal Aid providers may be able to help you after a severe storm, tornado, flood, hail or other disasters.
Find your Legal Aid provider in Arkansas where you live on this map.
If you think you have a civil legal problem, please apply for our services by calling:
- Center for Arkansas Legal Services at 1-800-950-5817
- Legal Aid of Arkansas at 1-800-952-9243
Attorneys interested in volunteering should contact the Arkansas Bar Association.
COMMON LEGAL NEEDS AFTER A DISASTER
- Problems with contractors when trying to rebuild
- Difficulty filing insurance claims
- Replacing IDs and important documents
- Driver’s license
- Social security card
- Birth certificate
- Court documents
- Understanding your rights as a renter
- Can you get out of a lease if your home is damaged?
- What if you lost your job and can’t pay rent?
- Can your landlord make you move to make repairs?
- What if you’re evicted?
- Preparing new wills, powers of attorney, and guardianship documents
- Filing for FEMA appeals
Call the Center for Arkansas Legal Services (1-800-950-5817) or Legal Aid of Arkansas (1-800-952-9243) if you have a question or think you have a legal issue after experiencing a disaster.
Contact FEMA at 1-800-621-3362 or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the hearing and speech impaired.
TIPS TO HELP AVOID LEGAL ISSUES AFTER A DISASTER
- 10 Tips to Hire a Contractor After a Disaster
- Tips to Help with Insurance Claims
- Read about your rights after a disaster if you rent a home
FACT SHEETS AND WEBSITES
- Arkansas Disaster Assistance Manual
- This manual will help individuals, families, and attorneys find answers to common questions and navigate the legal process after a disaster.
- Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA)
- This provides unemployment benefits to individuals who have become unemployed due to a Presidentially declared disaster. Check the eligibility requirements to see if should apply.
- FEMA Fact Sheet: Citizenship Status and Eligibility for Disaster Assistance FAQ
- Heartland Flood Help
- Find tips to help you prepare for flooding—before it occurs—to lessen or prevent flood damage and recover more quickly.
- Legal Aid of Arkansas Brochure: Prepare & Recover: Legal Help Through Disasters
- Emergency Food Resources in Arkansas
- FEMA Helps You Stay Safe During Disasters
- Arkansas Division of Emergency Management
- Arkansas Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (Arkansas VOAD)
- Legal Services Corporation – Disaster Task Force